THEN: It all started in 1925, when Charles and Percy Hulse formed their partnership of Hulse Brothers. In 1933, Charles Hulse invited Keith Playfair to join him as a partner. The two quite opposite personalities complimented one another and within a few years the firm’s name changed from Hulse Brothers to Hulse & Playfair. In 1938-39, the new partnership made a bold move by building their first funeral chapel. The firm grew rapidly to become Ottawa’s largest funeral establishment, known as the Central Chapel (seen above in the picture). Brian McGarry began his carer in 1962 and was invited to become a minority partner in 1973. Brian is now the CEO of the McGarry family funeral home.
NOW: The McGarry Family funeral home is celebrating its 88th year of dedicated service to the community and to the Nation. Today, there are seven locations across the National Capital area. The McGarry’s believe that their greatest strength and most valuable asset is their team of dedicated and licensed funeral directors and support staff. Many of their staff are actively involved in local communities, professional associations and even local government. They are here to offer their services to alleviate the stress of their client and family at a very difficult time of their life.